14. Jan 2019
In accordance with the statute of the association, Independent Journalists’ Association of Vojvodina’s(IJAV)mission is to encourage, support and develop independent, objective, professional and responsible journalism, to promote the protection of journalists’ rights and interests and the values of civil society. IJAV was set up in Novi Sad on 17 January 1990 on the initiative of group of distinguished local journalists.
Together with other four Serbian mayor media organizations, IJAV is today strongly involved in improvement of the media legislative and media system in Serbiaand in the networking and supporting of community media in Serbia, besides our permanent work in the field of rights and protection of journalists. IJAV is running the investigative web siteVOICE (Voice.org.rs)which deals with corruption on the level of local communities and the daily internet news portal Autonomija(Autonomija.info), a news site containing different points of view and opinions of prominent Serbian journalists and intellectuals.
Today, 28 years after its foundation in 1990, IJAV has a total of 620 members (269 women, 43%), five permanent staff members (President, Project Manager, Secretary and Financial Manager, Web master) and more than 94 honorary associates. Its government structure consists of an Executive Board headed by its President and four additional members, the Council of IJAV (five members), and the Court of Honor (three members).
IJAV has been selected for organizational development support from PeaceNexus Foundation
(www.peacenexus.org).This ToR is based on recommendations from two-day workshop that was conducted in collaboration with PeaceNexus with seven IJAV staﬀ to identify priority needs in organizational development of IJAV.
Nature and focus of the assignment
The scope and focus of the assignment is to strengthen the work of the IJAV by providing technical, strategic and facilitation support towards:
- The development of an organisational strategy (for the next 3 to 5 years)accompanied by an implementation plan,
- A review of internal organisation & management practices and systems (decision-making, internal coordination and communication, staff capacities, project management, risk management) and recommendations on how to strengthen internal organization and management of IJAV in line with the new strategy.
All the deliverables need to be delivered in English. The consultant(s) will work closely with the IJAV staﬀ, which will supervise the consultant’s work, progress and deliverables, in cooperation with PeaceNexus.
Objectives of the assignment and role of the consultant(s)
Work strand 1: Strategy development
The strategy developed through this consultancy needs to: be informed by an in-depth understanding of the specificities and risks associated with IJAV’s context; build on IJAV’s unique positioning in Serbia’s media landscape; provide IJAV with clear programmatic priorities and promising options to deliver on them.
To this end, the consultant is expected to:
- Undertake a context analysis that is tailored to IJAV’s positioning and needs,
- Consult key stakeholders (media specialists, donors,) and engage IJAV’S members, providing them with opportunities to co-shape the strategy development of the organization,
- Draw on the outcomes of the context and stakeholder analysis to provide concrete strategic options to the IJAV team,
- Facilitate strategy development workshops with IJAV’s team,
- Support the drafting of the new strategy (3-5 years) and implementation plan.
Work strand 2: Internal organisation review
Through the review of its internal-set up and management structures, IJAV seeks to make adaptations which will:
- Provide a solid basis for future growth,
- Facilitate decision-making,
- Enable IJAV to make the full use of internal capacities,
- Strengthen internal and external communication.
To this end, the consultant is expected to:
- Undertake a review of current internal systems and practices against IJAV’s needs and activities and identify possible gaps and capacity needs,
- Provide concrete and actionable organisational development recommendations in view of IJAV’s new strategy.
- Inception report, providing a detailed workplan for both work strands including timelines and methods applied,
- Findings on the context analysis and stakeholder consultation, including strategic implications for IJAV,
- Report on the internal review, including organizational development recommendations on roles and responsibilities, internal communication and allocation/strengthening of capacities,
- Draft strategic document (3 to 5 years), and draft action plan for 2019-2020,
- Final strategic document and action plan (including recommendations of the consultant for the implementation).
Project duration and timeframe
The assignment is expected to include approximately 35 days of work, (20-25 days for strategy development and 10-15 days working days for internal organization). This assignment will need to include both face -to-face work (workshops, retreats, interviews) with IJAV staff and relevant stakeholders as well as remote support (feedback, monitoring). The assignment is expected to be carried out over a period of 6-8 months, starting in March 2019.
Independent national and international consultants, consulting firms with proven track record of relevant experience of similar assignment/work (ideally in the context of Serbia) are invited to apply.
We are also open to teams of consultants combining the different required skills, and to individuals applying for partial assignments. If that is your case, please indicate clearly what part of the work you are applying for, or if in case of a co-application of different consultants, how you are going to divide the work.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully facilitating participatory strategy development;
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating organizational change/building capacities of non-profit organizations;
- Excellent analytical and drafting skills;
- Strong facilitation and (oral and written) communication skills in English;
- In depth knowledge of the Western Balkans (and Serbian in particular) context;
- In depth knowledge of the field of media.
- Fluency in BCS will be considered a strong asset;
- Experience with human resources management.
If you are interested in supporting us as our strategy development /OD consultant and meet the
criteria, we encourage you to submit your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org later than February 8th, 2019. Application needs to include:
- Expression of interest indicating your understanding of IJAV´s mission and relevant skills for this assignment, including recent experience with strategy development and/or organisational development processes.
- Please include your proposed methodology and related timeframe;
- Financial proposal comprising detailed quotation for the assignment, showing working days and expected fee, availability as well as travel costs from place of residence and back; and,
- Contact details of two references/previous clients who are able to comment on your ability to deliver on the strategy /organisational development.